Saturday, April 20, 2013

Finishing off

Finally the radioactive rug is finished. 


After it was all joined up I realized it wasn't quite big enough for our bed which was where I hoped it might live. I just couldn't face any more granny squares. A girl has her limits. So I just kept going around the outside in a border till it was the right size. It went a bit wonky the first few rows so it had to be disciplined with a severe pulling out of stitches and started again. Second and third time I finally figured out that I had to ditch all the connecting chains and just do the trebles. 


Then at the beach it was cool and quiet enough for me to whack on a scalloped edge to finish it off. 


  Done! Ta and Da at last!
So once again for a final appearance and yet another closure to the cycle of last year's Kafuffle.

We have the radiotherapy rug, a.k.a. family blanket ,


the biopsy blanket, a.k.a. rainbow ripple for Shorty Divine,


and of course the chemo quilt, a.k.a. Lala's blanket.


Here they are in their natural environment back home. Lala likes to bask like a cat in the sun. This is permissible in glorious Spring  Autumn sunshine. 


I love this time of year. We can finally behave like normal humans who live in more temperate climes and enjoy the benefits of gentle morning sunshine.


Usually I cower like a vampire in the Queensland sunshine. It is finally cooling down enough here to wear sleeves and long pants and a covered shoe. Bliss!


Lala likes to peruse the Aldi catalogue for such treasures as the travel pack of Zoobs for around $12. 
I only bought them because I wanted to say Zoobs a lot.


 "Where are the Zoobs? Have you got your Zoobs?" Try it. It's a satisfying word.


 Having decided to not crochet anything else for a goodly time we then stumbled acoss this tasty little pouffe in a gift shop.

Rainbow hexes, indeed. Couldja...wouldja...?


 Perhaps one close up of the stitches just in case.



24 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, I am in awe of you for many reasons, your beautiful, beautiful blankets being just one of them. Even a single granny is more than I can fathom, let alone crochet!
    I love that red adonised planter I spy in the first pic of your Lala and your new pouffe.
    Today I wore tights for the first time in (it must be close to) a year. It was lovely, there's a chill in the air here and I'm rejoycing in it! (I know that sounds a bit w----, but I hate the heat, so it's true!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy the pouffe. I just covetted it and photographed it so I could rip it off. That planter was bequeathed to me years ago by my sister who found it when passing through Warwick, possibly on the roadside if I recall. It's a little the worse for wear but still groovy.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic blankets. You've inspired me to buy a crochet hook. (I spy a Turkish carpet from our area in the 3rd picture)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beauty of a rug at my friend's house at the beach. She bought it locally but I'll check where it was imported from.
      There is some lovely crochet in Turkey. I'm sure some of the local ladies could teach you.

      Delete
  3. Lovely, lovely, lovely! I'll say it again- they are lovely! I'm determined to make myself one for my settee in the conservatory, first there's lots of decorating that takes up my time! Just love that yellow stool too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting that stool and its friend was the subject of a whole post once. That was back when there was a bit more making going on.

      Delete
  4. lovely to see all your blankets together.
    oh gosh that pouffe.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these three blankets are just a feast of colour, and I love the yellow stool too. Can I ask, are these wool or acrylic? I am having trouble finding colours I like, not to mention general overwhelmedness at getting started. And hasn't this week of weather been sublime, I so love autumn in Bris, my fave season. mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our autumn is really like a European summer or spring. It is so nice to be comfortable outside finally!
      Acrylic. Easy to wash with children, less succeptible to Brisbane moths and not as hot for our mild winters.

      Delete
  6. You're the only person I know who can turn a hellish year into a crochet bonanza!
    After stinking heat and storms this week we've finally enjoyed a crisp start this morning ... I even dreamt of snow, must have been feeling the change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I need a break now from the crochet and the hellish year, thank you!

      Delete
  7. As I slowly plod along on a knitted blanbket, I am in complete envy of yoiur crochet ones- I dont know if i'll ever be able to learn it! It's like I'm missing the chip in my head for crochet. What beautiful reminders of a hard year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can knit you can most certainly crochet. You just need a patient friend to teach you the basics then you build on it.
      Much easier than knitting as there is only one stitch to drop!

      Delete
  8. It's pretty lovely cooling down up here on the mountain too. Love the blankets and their official titles. Geez your girls are lovely. Missing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This whole working full time thing is not what it's cracked up to be. I miss the baby days.

      Delete
  9. I like the word pouffe...as in parfait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pouffe....zoob....plunge...as Miranda said on the ABC tonight!

      Delete
  10. All three blankets are very nice. Colour- and cheerful. I'm sure they are used all the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having a double treble zoob here as I feast my eyes on your healing rugs.
    Perfect for a family winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful blankets, afghans, or rugs! I wonder why we all call them by different names. You're gearing up for cooler weather and we're gearing up for warmer. Gotta love this old planet.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. As Fiona said, you are incredible for turning that year into these gorgeous blankets. It's a very good idea to have a break...though the pouffe (great word, zoob even better!) must be tempting.
    Zoob, zoob,
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annie, your blankets are AMAZING!!! I FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO SAY THIS AT AN INCREASED VOLUME AND INTENSITY - WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!
    I would think after all that work on the blankets, a few hexagons (OK quite a few!) would still be a quicker make by comparison? For you? You should definitely make something for yourself x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best bit. Drop in if you have time. You are most welcome!

Popular Posts