Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day 14

I am Loved. I know this because at 4 a.m. my four year old woke me to tell me. She told me again at 5 a.m. and 6a.m.. She loves me a lot.

Gratuitous photo of child doing what she should be doing at 4 a.m.
 At 7.20 a.m. I found a perfectly made, albeit tepid cuppa on the bedside table. At 7.45 a.m. Fishy came in to tell me there weren't many eggs today and one of the chooks was dead on the grass. Through sleepy eyes I realised I would be enduring breakfast in bed without parental guidance and that I'd be disposing of Ruby Redneck's mortal remains at some point today. 
The Big Fella is interstate so he has left instructions for the offspring which they are interpreting free form. There was a crackling sound from the kitchen. I made a pact with the powers that be that I'd bury the chook graciously if I didn't have to visit the Royal Children's Hospital today. We have been accruing frequent flyers points there of late.


Then they appeared like the Magi bearing gifts. With beaming faces and laden tray they stood above me urging me to wake up and smell the bacon. 


Indeed it is a happy face bacon portrait of Dad so he is here in salty spirit. We all gnawed on his crispy facial features. 


Shorty Divine provided her twist on the Banoffee cake with a cupcake topped with a chunk of banana. We shared that too. I like to share the food my children prepare me although it means there is less for me to enjoy. (choke)


There were gifts, home made, dodgy and delectable. There was a spoonful of kisses, a promissory note of massages, chocolate, magazines, a be-sequinned frame of their faces, a carved wooden dolphin(???) and those home made cards. I always keep the cards.


Soon I will rise like a phoenix from the tissue paper and ribbon to assess the kitchen debris and bury the chook. 


We'll prepare Fishy for his rugby match, hang and fold a canyon of washing and visit the grannies and sisters to celebrate the perfection and glitches that come with membership to Club Motherhood. 
On the whole though I have surmised that one un-iced banana topped cupcake outweighs two baskets of wet washing and a dead chook any day.



P. S. Ruby Redneck has also risen phoenix- like from the back yard. Turned out she was sun baking.

26 comments:

  1. It's miracle. Second best present of the day...not having to bury the chook. Enjoy your Mother's Day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise be to Ruby and Alleluia to the Mums!

      Delete
  2. All you need is love, right Annie...
    (glad to read your chook was just having a little rest, and that you didn't have to attend a funeral on Mothers Day) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweet kidlets.

    Glad to hear Ruby Redneck survived to see another day. burying her would not exactly have been an ideal mothers day activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you're loved! I enjoy Mother's Day more and more. I really don't expect much in terms of gifts but love the home made ones. I love that they're specially constructed.

    My friend had to beat a sick chook to death with a rake once. She's braver than me. And I'm always looking over my shoulder when I'm at her house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Husband spent half of Easter Sunday stalking a chicken waiting for her to finally keel over. He finally buried her down in the pet cemetery behind the grassy knoll. It's not in the Mother's Day rule book.

      Delete
  5. Awesome post as usual! and whats a few washing baskets, when you had the cupcake- and a live chook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your blog posts always make me smile. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks be to the great undead of chooks! Sounds like you were very loved, did you get icy cold toes on the side with those declarations of love? The homemade goodies are the best aren't they, my pair had squirrelled away 5 cards and 4 gifts between them. mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we should rename her Shauna of the Dead. Zombie chickens could be the next pet craze!
      No toes just little finger tips tickling around my face like a housefly.

      Delete
  8. They're such an awesome bunch. I have visions of the chook being carried into a hole and waking-up from it's sun baking-induced coma only when the first shovel of dirt lands on it's face. Classic! Happy Mothers Day!! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may well have been hypnotised as I hear that is the thing to do with chooks.

      Delete
  9. What a great day for you! I love your take on it. At least you didn't have to bury a dead chook.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great wrapup Miss Annie. Those kids are gold. I had eggs in bed with a bouncy three year old singing declarations of love (her own composition). And then I went to work. And Lauren's 40th. I honestly don't know if they had dinner... you'd think i'd be better at this by now. Good news about that chook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Lauren! Tell them to eat cake...

      Delete
  11. Very charming post. The plate of food made me laugh out loud. So cute! Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The banana cup cake made me laugh out loud too but I kept a poker face for the Porktrait!

      Delete
  12. Love it all Annie.
    We lost a chook this week, in hindsight I do hope she was dead!
    My drawer of home-made cards and gifts is busting at the seams, won't part with any of them though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have thought 'Oh no!' when faced with what has then turned out to be a chook sunbathing on the grass. They just look so dead! Sometimes one of ours will hold up one wing, which just adds to the illusion. Curiously, I have now also seen magpies and mickies doing a similar thing, although they tend to keep one eye open - unlike the chooks!
    A lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruby Redneck was just ,like you, having a sleep-in for Mother's Day, and wondering which of her eggs would make her a card or a cupcake with a slice of banana on top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It always takes me by surprise that the rest of the world celebrates Mother's Day weeks after we do in the UK. And you clearly do it in style ;)

    I have a box full of those home made cards, and all the shop bought ones I received after they got too old for home made to be cool ... I keep wondering if it's ever okay to just stop collecting them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have laughed all the way through this one....yes you are loved, very , very much! Yes sharing prepared food is a must, don't you think...glad Ruby Redneck is going to be just fine!!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. They did well with the bacon - looks good to me. And lovely presents and cards. So wonderful to be loved by excellent folk. I was delighted to hear you didn't have to deal with the chook!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you are OK, and just busy at the moment.

    GOODNIGHT OLIVIA seems to have been hijacked by some strange Indian....you might want to delete the link in the fave blog list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope things are ok over your way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, thinking about you today and hoping everything is ok :) x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best bit. Drop in if you have time. You are most welcome!

Popular Posts